Saturday, December 8, 2007

The Golden Compass

We went to see The Golden Compass last night. First time we've gone to the movies in a little while. I was interested in the movie for obvious reason...

It wasn't crowded, thank God.

The theater was actually only about 1/4 full. It got me worried. And when the previews began, I got even more worried.

There were two or three movies that got my attention but not necessarily in the good way. Narnia 2: Prince Caspen, and Inkheart. Both movies fell into the same genre/style as The Golden Compass, and it made us unforgivingly realize that this next summer is going to be all about Narnia/LOTR Fantasy type movies. I didn't mind too much when Marvel and DC decided to revamp their comic-to-movie ambitions, some dishing out complete trilogies [i.e. X-Men, Spiderman]. It felt as if you had one summer when EVERY thing come out; X-Men, Spiderman, Catwoman, Batman, Superman, etc. Oh well, Narnia-esc movies are going to have their summer now too...

Well, about The Golden Compass.

***warning, potential spoilers***

In my honest opinion, I didn't like it that much. It was good, and it may get you interested in the books, but its not a winner. I could see them saving it with a really good sequel (there are three books in all: His Dark Materials) but if they don't make enough with this movie, they're scrapped. I LOVED the concept. I loved the demons (I wish I had an little animal buddy next to me the entire time). I found it interesting how they mirrored their human companions, often kept them in check. I loved the idea that this Magistrate wanted to control your demons, or in some situations, eliminate them. I enjoyed the contrast of the free willed demons (being able to express themselves) to the very controlled Magistrate demons (never speaking, often treated like pets). With demons being the humans' soul, it goes to show you that your soul is held captive by your beliefs.

The Ice Bear's were cool. A very unexpected scene caught me so off guard, I found myself smiling like a fool. The fact that Ice Bears aren't human (thus not having souls/demons) makes me curious on who from our reality did the Author intend to portray as the Ice Bears. They are still based on a very war-based history. They have an hierarchy system, and their king doesn't seem the best of all folks.

Now for the bad points.

I read this before I went (while looking up show times) and it was stuck in my head. Forgive me if I do the same.

***spoilers***

I felt the movie was too back story driven. I agree with critic's opinion that it rushed plot points, and the ending left you uninterested. I was not a fan of all of the dialog, ESPECIALLY Lyra's monologues (I hate little kids talking. I hate when they try to be deep. Stop!)

I completely enjoyed it visually and conceptually, but other than that, the actually movie felt like it missed it's target.

***end of all spoilers***

Oh well, at least it will keep me entertained while I wait for JJ Abram's Cloverfield coming out next month.

That's all for now.

~Tim

No comments: